that queer critic is taking a hiatus from the film critic part of my identity in order to focus more fully on the disabled and mentally ill part. Watch this space for ramblings from within a psychiatric ward.
that queer critic is (pick one):
1. on a perilous journey from which we can learn much when he or she returns;
2. possessed by (pick one):
a) the gods,
b) God (that is, a prophet),
c) some bad spirits, demons, or devils,
d) the Devil;
3. a witch;
4. bewitched (variant of 2);
5. bad, and must be isolated and punished;
6. ill, and must be isolated and treated by (pick one):
a) purging and leeches,
b) removing the uterus if the person has one,
c) electric shock to the brain,
d) cold sheets wrapped tight around the body,
e) Thorazine or Stelazine;
7. ill, and must spend the next seven years talking about it;
8. a victim of society’s low tolerance for deviant behavior;
9. sane in an insane world;
10. on a perilous journey from which he or she may never return.
– All credit to the brilliant Susanna Kaysen whose memoir of time on a psychiatric ward you can read here for free but which I reccomend you buy if you have the means. this queer critic advocates supporting artists if you have the means (and your local bookstore -not Amazon).